Here are some examples:
As a follow-up to the last post, here are some personal questions that are particularly likely to be unwelcome and experienced as microaggressions:
- Asking someone why they have a particular religious affiliation (especially if it is a minority religion).
- Asking someone medical questions about their body.
- Asking someone why they have children, don’t have children, or have so many children (or whether their children were adopted/conceived naturally/conceived through IVF).
- Asking someone about their accent or national origins
- Asking someone questions about their hair (*especially* if you are white and they not)
- Asking someone about their eating habits
- Asking someone whether they’re gay
- Asking someone whether they’re trans, or asking personal questions about transition
- Asking someone how much money they make
- Asking someone to speak for their group without having been invited to do so (Eg: “So, what DOES the gay community think about lesbians marrying gay men?)
- Asking someone if they’ve lost weight.