For those who don’t celebrate Christmas, the 25th of December can be a boring, annoying, or lonely day in Christian-dominated cultures. Almost everything shuts down, and the atmosphere is dominated by a holiday almost everyone else is celebrating that you’re not part of.
Here are some things you can do on Christmas other than celebrate it:
- Chinese restaurants are often open on Christmas
- You can go there and eat food
Gatherings unrelated to Christmas:
- If you have friends who also don’t celebrate, Christmas can be a good time to hang out
- Gathering on Christmas doesn’t have to be a Christmas party
Going to work:
- If the place you work is open on Christmas, most people probably want to avoid working
- Working on Christmas is a nice thing to do if you don’t celebrate
- In some fields, it’s also a relatively quiet shift
Going to a movie:
- A lot of movie theaters are open on Christmas
- Some of the movies are Christmas-themed, but a lot of them are not
- Netflix and Hulu both have lots and lots of things to watch
- Most of which are not at all Christmas-related
- Hulu ads might be, though. If you want to completely avoid Christmas stuff, Netflix is a better option
- This can be a good thing to do in a gathering, if you have friends who also don’t celebrate Christmas
- Reading a new book is a good way to fill time and be absorbed in something interesting
- If you don’t have any books you want to read, here are some ways to get eBooks:
- Project Gutenburg has a huge collection of free eBooks that are out of copyright
- Oyster Books is an ebook subscription service with a free trial.
- Amazon also has an ebook subscription service (but it has a lot of junk and is kind of hard to nagivate).
- If you’re bored and need something to be interested in, Wikipedia can be a good place to go
- If you click the random button enough times, you will probably eventually find a page that interests you
tl;dr Christmas can be boring for people who don’t celebrate it since most things shut down on Christmas in Christian-dominated cultures. Scroll up for some suggestions about stuff to do other than be bored.
Anyoneelse who doesn’t celebrate Christmas want to weigh in? What do you like to do on Christmas?