Words and phrases can be hard to come up with. Sometimes, it’s easier to use phrases that someone else already came up with.
Some shows, books, and movies are particularly good for this. Here are some I have found useful in this regard (do not take this as an unequivocal general endorsement of the content):
Shows and movies
- The Simpsons
- King of the Hill
- Spongebob Squarepants
- South Park
- The Princess Bride
- Harry Potter
- The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
- The Bible
- The Enchanted Forest Chronicles
- Ella Enchanted
- Discworld series
- Stranger in a Strange Land
- The Elephant and Piggie series
- George and Martha series
- Frog and Toad
What are some books/TV/media that you get words from?
Expanding on phrases from other people, I’ll sometimes take wording from memes. Some examples:
- Not sure if bad at coming up with examples, or just hasn’t done this in awhile.
- Brace yourselves! I feel a movie marathon coming on.
- Pizza for dinner? Did you mean my favorite thing ever?
- Reassuringly confirms you’re a good person
I don’t know how much of this is useful for other people, but I find it helpful for me, and in some social circles it doesn’t seem odd at all to make references to internet memes.
Yes, that totally works in a lot of contexts